Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Don't Toss It

At work recently, we were talking about some new things that we'll be making from scratch in the bakery this summer, and it really got me thinking. They're bringing back something they call Mountain Gems, something the previous owner used to make. She started describing them, and one sounded exactly the same as the Oreo cookie truffles I make at Christmas time. She had many different types of cookies that they use to create different flavors, like lemon or...well I got so excited after I heard Oreo truffles I missed all the other flavors.

If you've never had my truffles, you've missed out. But today I divulge all secrets, so here goes. Basicallcally all they are is cookies crushed in the processor and then cream cheese is added. I put he batch in the fridge for a while. Then I take a melon baller and make little spheres and put them in the fridge for a while before I coat them in melted almond bark (chocolate and white). Then I finish them off with a drizzle of the opposing color. I also change it up and put in some mint in half the cookie mixture and some in the bark. For those I'll usually drizzle green

You could basically do this with and dried cookie you like. Sky's the limit in flavor combos. You could do chocolate chip, lemon, ginger snap or anything.

What does this have to do with don't toss it, you ask yourself? Lots! It got me to thinking how many batches of overcooked cookies or flopped cakes that just get thrown away. I say you don't have to. This is a great way to use that stuff up.

Cakes, yes I said cakes...it's happened to all of us that we've had to quick make a second one because something just wasn't right about it. Well, I've come across a recipe that makes it so you don't have to toss out that first one. It's a lot like the truffle idea. You take the baked cake and put it into the processor and turn it into a fine crumble. Then you mix in a tub of whatever frosting and mix it. Might need to get in there with your hands to get it all incorporated. Next I would put it in the fridge for about a Hal hour to let it set. When you take it out use a small round scupe to make little balls. Then either dip in chocolate or bark of your choice or just drizzle or glaze with some warmed up frosting. A little tip is that you can add some water to the frosting to thin it out to a drizzle.

So, enjoy and let's hear all your wonderful combination ideas!! One I've already come across is making red velvet cake with a green frosting at Christmas or red and white frosting at valentines. I'm even getting 4th of July visions with a red cake, white frosting and blue sprinkles...

6 comments:

enestvmel said...

Ohhh, I'm already thinking grasshopper cookies for truffles. If there was only some sort of strawberry cookie out there to make some strawberry cream ones.

enestvmel said...

What about waffers? See...possibilities are endless!

Terra said...

Have you ever made those cake balls before where you make a cake, mash it up, mix in frosting and shape it to balls? Well, I actually just acquired an AWESOME strawberry cake and icing recipe a few days ago...that includes real strawberries. Maybe that would work for a truffle idea? I will have to send you the recipe.

ps. Your blog is great! I can see it: "Melanie's cooking show"

enestvmel said...

Thanks, Terra! I don't think I'm the TV type, but more than willing to help out friends and family with any tips I can.

That strawberry cake and cream cheese would definitely give me the flavor I was looking for. The only strawberry cake I ever made had strawberry yogurt in it, and that was quite good too. Then I see white almond bark and a pink drizzle making it very pretty. Almost come out looking like a petit four. Would be a great idea for a bridal or baby shower. Great idea!!

Sue said...

This past Christmas Nicole made some truffles using cake and I think she mixed it with frosting. You'll have to talk to her when we're at the lake to see what she used. They were pretty good, but they were really sweet. I think she made them just a smidge to big.

enestvmel said...

I'll be sure to ask her.