Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer Veggies

I love summer, mostly because it's fresh fruit and veggie season!! I practically go vegetarian in the summer, and my favorite place to get my goodies is at the local farmers market. I've been waiting weeks to go. Last week was the first week they had it around here and I ended up being very disappointed. Ours starts at 7:30 and I got there at 8 and all they had left was tomatoes. I heard people were lined up by 7:15 and pretty much everything sold out in a matter of minutes when they opened at 7:30. Happily they are going to have another one on Wednesday afternoons. I can't wait!!

If you don't have a farmer's market in your area, also try to check into a local CSA (community supported agriculture). If you do an internet search, you might be surprised what you find in your area.

I did manage to find some veggies and ended up making some refrigerator pickles and refrigerator pickled peppers. The hardest part is waiting the week while they cure. I also made cherry butter this week and threw it in the freezer. I'm determined to fill my pantry with goodies before this winter!!

Share your favorite summer recipes. I love new ideas!! Get out and try new recipes with the freshest veggies at your local market!!

No comments: