Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Recipes We Try To Replicate

As I mentioned, I started working at a bakery recently. I don't have their recipes, but it's so fun to try to duplicate! We have this thing that people go bonkers over. They have a few different flavors of them like bacon and cheese roll, bacon and green chili, and bacon, cheese and jalapeno. People go absolutely nuts over them, and they're wonderful!!

I've made it one of my new missions to replicate them. They basically look like a caramel roll (without the topping), that's filled with the variety of ingredients that make them taste so nummy. You could put almost any meat/cheese/veggie combo within reason. I particularly like the jalapeno ones!!

I'm going to start experimenting with the boule recipe out of the "Artisan Bread In 5 Minutes A Day" cookbook, and just incorporate different fillers. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and give a better final recipe.

I'd love to hear your ideas for flavor combinations!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think if you were to make spinach and artichoke dip and spread that on it and roll it up, that would be good.
Sue B.

enestvmel said...

Ohhh, that sounds wonderful!!

enestvmel said...

I almost should suggest that or some other veggie only type to them. Thanks, Sue!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you could chop up some jalapenos and put them in there too.
Sue B.

enestvmel said...

I just did a net search to see what flavors go well with leeks and a prosciutto and goat cheese. Not sure they'd go for the goat cheese, but it's a good start.

steffernini said...

but you should definitely not use melanie's carrots!!!

steffernini said...

i want a true "baked ziti" recipe!! the kind where you don't cook the noodles before you bakeor only have to half-boil the noodles!

Anonymous said...

I like goat cheese. But you could always just use a different kind of cheese like provolone.
Sue B.

(what's wrong with your carrots Mel?)

enestvmel said...

Sue, I think the boys are getting sick from the carrots, but I have really no idea.

Steph, I'll look around for one. Have used one from 'zaar before, bur I don't think it had no cook or par cook noodles in it. I have made a stove top version that way before. Was done start to finish in about 35 minutes.

Terra said...

I've got a great recipe for prosciutto stuffed meatloaf roll, with havarti, sun dried tomatoes, prociutto, and basil in the middle. Then the meat mixture has sausage, ground beef, sauteed mushrooms and onions, and seasonings. I bet that would be soooo good with a bread roll! How do they get it so it's not soggy? MMMM, my mouth is watering and I just ate dinner-is that bad?